Monday 17 October 2011

Do some of us have no values?

Not too long ago I was at a discussion about race and ethnicity and I was shocked to hear a member of the group say that she would prefer to send her children, especially her daughter to an all Asian school because of the values that are taught. Now this isn't what bothered me. What really struck a cord with me however was that she then went on to say that she would do that because she doesn't want her daughter to be mixing with white girls who will encourage her daughter to have a boyfriend at 15 and a baby by 19.

This was quite shocking to me as she was at a debate for anti-racism and she herself seemed to be inciting racism. I know that all ethnic groups have their own cultural identities and that these can seem to conflict with those of other groups, however I truly believe that it comes down to the individual and that morals start where the heart is and that is likely to originate in the home. If you want your child(ren) to have them, then teach those values to them. Do not blame your fears on an ethnic group.

No comments:

Post a Comment